"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cemex Corporate Strategy

This week in MQM 385 we dissected a case study on Cemex, an international cement company. Starting off in Mexico, Cemex gained enough capital to spread their organization through mergers and acquisitions. Once Cemex had control of the Mexican market, they expanded to the United States and other Spanish speaking countries.

The success of Cemex comes to their approach of increasing their geographic scope. First of all, they need to standardized their operations and stay within the cement industry. This makes it easy to merge and implement operations at new locations. Important items to consider when looking to acquire a potential company are geographic location, political stability, and cultural differences. Cemex sets the high goal of controlling 25% of the market when entering a new area.

No comments: