"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Viral Videos

This week in MKT 331 we have been talking about viral videos.  This is a really interesting topic and many of you may be familiar with videos such as: Charlie Bit My Finger, David at the Dentist, Kony 2012, and more. It is difficult for organizations to plan a strategy for implementing a viral video.   Most popular videos get strong exposure from word of mouth, but it is never certain what will get people talking.  Honey badger don't care? At the same time, organizations do not want to create a video that seems too desperate for attention because viewers will instantly know it is not genuine. 

We also talked about the subservient chicken video from Burger King.  This is more of an interactive video.  Essentially a man in a chicken suit stands in a shabby living room and whatever action you type in, the chicken will do.  A truly strange video but it fits well with Burger King's somewhat odd approach to their advertisements.  Within the past month the Red Hot Chili Peppers have released their new music video for the song, "Look Around" off the new album, I'm With You.  I believe this is the first interactive music video ever! Not quite a viral video, but a really innovative idea.  Check it out below!!

http://redhotchilipeppers.com/news/301-look-around-interactive-video

No comments: