"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

England - Belgium 2012

Today I spent much of the day trying to promote the 2012 England and Belgium Study Abroad Program.  Myself and 19 others took this trip last summer and had an incredible time.  This is a four week long program that gives you the opportunity to study in England and travel around Europe in your free time.  While attending classes for three weeks at The University of The West of England, students are required to stay with a host family.  This is a great way to introduce students to foreign surroundings and help them develop an understanding of certain cultural barriers.  The final week of the trip is devoted to traveling across Belgium with a UWE professor.  Overall, this trip is a great way to step out of your shell, become independent, adventure to new places, make great friends, and create unforgettable memories. 

With organization from Dr. Lahiri, I went to six different classes today to give a brief presentation on how students can benefit from this program, and I will be going to a hand full again on Thursday.  Besides enjoying the opportunity to share my experiences with students, I enjoyed talking with Dr. Lahiri between presentations.  He is a very wise man and I am thankful for the re-encouraging words he gave me about my future ambitions.  I have a high level respect for Dr. Lahiri's kindness and openness, and I appreciate the life experiences he shared with me today.

No comments: