"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Thursday, June 2, 2011

London Weekend

Early morning 2 and a half hour coach ride from Bristol to London.  First stop was a tour of British Parliament. It was cool because we entered through the same doors that Obama did a few days earlier.  I dont remember the exact facts, but something along the lines of Obama was only the third US president to visit there. And 1 of four people who have made a speech at Westminster hall.  The tour was fairly cool, but a lot of the government system and politics went over my head.  We than walked from British Parliament to Piccadilly Circus to check into our hostel.

My first impression of Piccadilly Circus was this awesome happening place with lots of people and cool things to look at.  My impression by the end of the trip was that Piccadilly is really just a wanna be Times Square, except was less cooler, and loaded with a whole bunch of creepos.  After stopping for a quick donut a few members and myself headed back over towards big ben.  Apparently next years group will get to go up in Big Ben for a tour.  Im slightly jealous.  Headed over to China town where to catch a yummy yummy dinner.  Unfortunately of all the wonderful places to eat, we selected a par buffet.  No worries I still ate my money worth.

I was extremely excited tonight because we were headed to London Ice Bar.  After making a reservation we had about an hour and a half to kill , so we settled at the Leicester Arms.  For really no reason in particular this became our favorite pub and we went there all three nights (its funny because we deemed it our favorite after our first visit, but after our second and third visit it became pretty apparent that we werent really welcome there.  And for no reason at all.  We were well behaved, but because we were American they didnt like us).

Ice Bar was Awesome!!! Definitely worth it.  It is very cold and they give you really cool parkas to wear while you are in there.  Your admission came with a free drink, which was appropriately served in a glass completely made of ice.  Since it is very cold in there and the bar is somewhat small, you are only permitted to stay for 45 min.  Which is plenty. A very neat venture.  Of course by this point my fat ass was hungry.  And could you believe that there is like nooooooo restaruants or fast food joints open past 9ish.  Stopped at this place for the worst slice of pizza I have ever had just because it was the only thing open.  And as terrible as it was.....we ended up going back the next night just because thats all there was.  First evening in the hostel yay!!

No comments: