"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Thursday, June 2, 2011

London Weekend cont...

Day started at about 7am by being awaken by the fire alarm.  That really sucked.  Today we had a whole lot of activites planned and so far the day did not start well.  Needless to say I needed some McDonalds breakfast to return morale to the status quo.  Purchased the London Pass to recieve admission to the main site seeing attractions.  Started at Westminster Abbey.  Beautiful and massive.  Then we met Lucy.s local friends for lunch in Covent Garden.  Had some delish and interesting pizza.  Then headed straight towards the tube to visit the London Tower, which was nothing like I thought it would be.  It looked very old and neat, but I was anxious to see other sites and The London Tower could not hold my attention.  Tower Bridge was really cool though.  Went to the top and got to loook out over the Thames river.

Hustled back to the tube and tried to make it toward St. Patricks cathedral before 5, which did not happen.  We still got to go in though and I really liked it.  Different from all the other churches we had been seeing.  Simply beautiful and elegant.  Had a happier feel to it and wasnt surrounded with graves or dimly lit.  From there we walked across Millennium Bridge to take a picture outside of the Globe Theatre.  I really just wanted to see this because Rick, Mike, and I spent a long time creating a model of this building for Ms. Foglia in 7th grade.  Since the Tate museum of modern art was right next door we stopped in there for longer.  I wish we could have stayed a little longer, but myself and everyone else was hitting a wall, very tired at this point.

Headed back to the Hostel for a little before heading out to try and catch the end of the futbol game.  There was a lot a lot a lot of people in the city for the game.  Lots of Barcelona fans.  All the pubs were jammed and we had a hard time even finding a spot to watch the game.  Eventually we ended up back at the Leicester Arms.  Shared some good stories and luaghs while the girls discovered Bulmers Pear Cider.  There was a lot of people out walking around due to the game, which ment lots of police forces.  In the main center of Piccadilly there was at least 25 cops hanging out and a dozen of them with dogs.  Yes, had the shitty espresso pizza again and turned it in for the evening.  I am surprised of how well I slept in the hostel, but I am assuming that it is because I was so exhausted.

No comments: