"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Friday, June 10, 2011

Dublin Weekend

So the flight from Bristol to Dublin was a joke.  As soon as we took off, we came right back down.  I think it lasted a total of 45 min.  We got in relatively late in the day so we just decided to eat and go out for the evening.  I ate at a Mexican restaurant, because I am having Mexican food withdrawal. It was alright, but definitely no Tacos El Norte.   The hostel we are staying at is right in Temple Bar area, which is the hopin place to be and a prime location in the city.  The best part is this hostel is waaaaayyyyy nicer than  the one we stayed at in London.  Plus they serve us breakfast in the morning and the price was cheaper.  And to be so close to the happening night life, you couldnt ask for more.We spent the first night at "The Temple Bar" and had an opportunity to listen to an awesome Irish acoustic trio.  They mainly did popular covers, but it was sooo much fun.  Called it an early night and prepared for a busy day tomorrow.

Nothing like a saturday 10am Guiness.  Yep a free Guiness after completion of the brewer tour.  You got to indulge in this extremely delish beer at the top of the "Gravity Bar" on top of the factory, over looking all of Dublin.  They even made a shamrock in the foam head of the beer.  I loved that.  Next stop was Kilmainham Gaol (which is a very very old jail).  Our tour guide was awesome, and the old building was even cooler.  Super super spooky.  I forget the dates, but this place was running from a long time ago all the way till 1910.  Only 12 people have ever escaped and they all did it by bribing guards and walking out the front door.  The craziest thing is that the jail was made to hold about 300 or 350 inmates, but at one point held over 9000.  Thats nuts!!  All sorts of Irish history and famous stories of revlolutionary figures held in the jail.  The other famous part of the jail was the executions that occured in the court yard.

Then we went to the Jamison Distillery, but just looked around because we didnt want to wait for a tour.  St. Patricks cathedral was next.  It was neat and pretty and everything, but I was really impressed.  Could be because we have already seen some outstanding churches on the trip.  Next took a tour of Dublin Castle.  It was meh but I think i was slightly tired and cranky at this point.  Since we purchased the Dublin tourist pass we wanted to get the most out of it and headed to the wax museum.  I have never been to one before.  It was surprising really fun.  slightly corny, but I enjoyed it.

Had dinner at a not so good Italian place.  Whateve we were hungry and it was a pretty good deal.  The pumpkin soup I had was a complete let down....I was hoping it would be similar to the delish one I had at Aunt Lizs weeding, but it was not even close.  After dinner Megan, Lucy, and I got free pasteries and coffee at a nice little cafe (free bc of our Dublin pass).  We sat there for hours and had some really good conversati0ons.  That was considered our night out and I was 100percent content with it.

No comments: