"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Monday, May 30, 2011

Summary Cont....

 Day 3

Today we had a day trip to Bath!!! It was amazing I really really enjoyed it.  The city is relatively small, but the buildings are incredible and the shopping is fun and convenient.  Our day started with a tour of the ancient Roman bath house.  So cool! The engineering capabilities from years ago is just mind blowing to think of.  Basically the Romans discovered how to control this natural hot spring and turn it into a palace for bathing and relaxation.  Pictures of the spa are awesome, so be sure to check it out. 

After my first official UK fish and chips meal we headed up the Royal Crescent.  This is just a set of fancy apartment complexes arranged in a huge semi circle.  I enjoyed stoppping to lay down in the field in front of the crescent to soak up moment.  After walking through a few shops Shelby, Lucy, and I decided to eat at a small pastry shop. I had a raspberry tart that looked and tasted incredible.  Before the rain started, we took a tour of the Abbey in the town square.  This is a very very old building.  My favorite part was the achitectural angels on the outside, climbing up and down ladders to heaven.  Also, the oldest tomb located in the building was from 1572. Old!!

Overall, it was a great day trip and I was happy to head back to Bristol before the rain started.  Ana prepared us a nice meal of fried fish, potatoes, and vegetables.  I enjoyed watching my roommate, Eric, discover a new appreciation for fried fish (never had much fish before).  Did a few journal entries and washed up before calling it an evening.  Great day in Bath.

Day 4

Alright everything is starting to blur together a little at this point, but I believe that day 3 started with a coach tour of Bristol.  A UWE professor, Rebbecca Fong, guided us around while we made stops at the Clifton suspension bridge, quarry, Bristol Abbey, and market.  Rebbecca was really nice and had a lot of useful information about how to get around Bristol and popular places to shop, visit, fun facts, etc.  Bristol really is a beautiful city with a lot of different things to do and see. It seems to have a good flow that I feel relatively compatible with.

After our tour we headed to UWE (University of the West of England) for the first time to receive a warm welcome from program administrators.  After a little introduction and general do's and dont's we received a campus tour from a current student.  Everything thing seemed relatively easy to navigate and we were informed where to catch buses, attend class, and access computers.  Campus is complete with a University Bar located under the library, so before heading back to my host family's for dinner, a few of us stopped for a refreshing Pimms.  It's pretty similar to a mojito, just with different fruit garnishes and a fruity flavor. 

Ana traveled to Bath today to babysit her granddaughter, so Brendon prepared dinner for us.  Tuna with pasta in a red sauce with veggies.  It was very good.  The evening events included everyone gathering at the Golden Lion for drinks.  They had a few performers and I enjoyed being able to hear some local music.  I talked to the one girl who I was particularlly impressed with after her performance.  She was very nice and informed me where to find her music online (Pepino.bandcamp check it out!!).  Some of the locals in the bar didn't exactly enjoy our groups American enthusiasm, so we received a few harsh looks and gestures from the classless few of them.  Headed home and prepared for tomorrows first day of lectures.

No comments: