"When I was about eleven years old, I remember a specific conversation I had with my father. I sat quiet while he talked about our family's Italian heritage and the origin of our last name, DeLeo. De - Leo: The - Lion. Simple enough, makes sense. What characteristics come to your mind when you think about the embodiment of a lion? I think of wisdom, respect, courage, beauty, strength, unity, and passion. Once I learned of this connection, I took a lot of pride in my last name and the characteristics it symbolized. To this day, I dedicate to live every aspect of my life with the heart of a lion."

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summary

Day 1:  Sat 21

Arrived at Heathrow at about nine in the morning.  Had about two hours to kill before the bus brought us to Bristol, so I joined my classmates at the pub.  Flight was very long, but went better than I expected.  All sorts of wierd tired and uneasy tummy.  After a two hour coach ride to Bristol we met up with our host families at a local park.  I am staying with Ana Murphy.  Also staying with us is a 26 year old from Lybia.  He is in an entry level training program for BP.  Sounds pretty cool.  There is also Ana's son, Brendon, he is probably in his mid thirties.  My roommates from our program are Eric and Dennis.  They are great fun and real nice guys.  You will have to see pictures of the house we are staying in.  It is very nice, but very differet from America.  Saturday evening Ana made us ham, cabbage, and potatoes (she is Irish). 

After dinner we washed up to go out for the evening.  We adventured to a few local pubs down one of the main roads including, Sun Rising, The Blue Lagoon, and Hobgoblin.  The ciders here are a relatively big thing and I enjoy trying the different ones.  They are very similar to Woodchuck.  A memorable point in the evening was when the Beastie Boy's 'Sabatage' played at the HobGoblin.  Good song.  And the locals were going nuts!! Standing on tables and sorts.  One person was even dancing around with an umbrella.  It was fun.  Very Very exhuasted so called it in for the evening.

No comments: